The Medicare Coordinator Program, administered by Via Benefits, started the Medicare Open Enrollment (OEP) on Saturday, October 15, 2022 for retirees, emeriti and family members who are Medicare-eligible, 65 years old or older and living outside of California. The OEP will run through Wednesday, December 7, 2022.
Covered members should have received the following samples:
- Via Benefits’ Fall newsletter and HRA funding qualification rule. The bi-annual newsletter will discontinue in 2023. The fall newsletter can be viewed at: https://emeriti-retirees.ucr.edu/document/benefits-fall-newsletter.
- Via Benefits’ electronic communication to announce “The Groove,” the new online resource that provides quick and easy access to information during Open Enrollment and beyond. The communication can be viewed at: https://emeriti-retirees.ucr.edu/document/groove-announcement.
- Information from members’ current plans with coverage changes and new premiums for 2023. The information can be viewed at: https://emeriti-retirees.ucr.edu/document/benefits-coverage-changes.
The following information below will be posted on the UCnet website under the Medicare Coordinator Program.
Tips for Medicare Open Enrollment with Via Benefits
- “The Groove” is a new resource for covered members and prospective members which can be viewed at: https://www.thegrooveviabenefits.com/.
- On the homepage, select "Medicare Open Enrollment" to learn more about your choices and next steps. “Medicare Open Enrollment” can be viewed at: https://www.thegrooveviabenefits.com/medicare-oep.
- Select “Find Out How” under Coverage Checkup when you're ready to shop and compare. “Find Out How” can be viewed at: https://www.thegrooveviabenefits.com/articles/coverage-checkup.
- Covered members and prospective members can also visit myviabenefits.com/uc directly at https://my.viabenefits.com/uc to shop and compare (via the menu in the top right corner). Visit the shop and compare webpage at: https://app.viabenefits.com/shop/config/.
- Covered members and prospective members can make an appointment with a License Benefit Advisor and are encouraged to do so as soon as possible as appointments fill up quickly. Visit the Via Benefits webpage to make an appointment at: https://help.viabenefits.com/prweb/PRServletCustom/help/Via%20Benefits/article/KCP-3767/Prepare%20for%20Your%20Medicare%20Plan%20Enrollment%20Call.
- Once members are ready to review current coverage, make plan changes or start a new enrollment, they must register and/or log in to myviabenefits.com/uc at: https://my.viabenefits.com/uc.
- Prospective members should call Via Benefits, self-identify as UC members and verify that they are in the Via Benefits’ system first, before enrolling to ensure HRA eligibility, or they can contact RASC to confirm eligibility for the Medicare Coordinator Program. Plan changes made during Open Enrollment will take effect January 1, 2023.
Changing your coverage: What you need to know and do
- To enroll electronically: Members must log into their account at https://my.viabenefits.com/uc and complete an online enrollment change (self-guided).
- Please note that the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) mandates that members must initiate enrollment changes by calling Via Benefits. This is to protect Medicare members from scams or unwanted changes to their coverage. To enroll with a licensed benefits advisor:
- Go to the Groove Via Benefits at https://www.thegrooveviabenefits.com/ or My Via Benefits at https://my.viabenefits.com/uc and reserve a time to call in at: https://help.viabenefits.com/prweb/PRServletCustom/help/Via%20Benefits/article/KCP-3767/Prepare%20for%20Your%20Medicare%20Plan%20Enrollment%20Call. Make sure to reserve an appointment as soon as possible. A reminder email will be provided prior to the scheduled appointment to call in.
- Members can also enroll without a reservation by calling Via Benefits at 1-855-359-7381, Monday through Friday from 5:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Pacific Time. Members can request the following:
- A callback when you are next in line
- An online enrollment assisted by an enrollment specialist, or
- A phone enrollment assisted by a licensed Benefit Advisor (wait time may be longer)
- When calling, members should indicate that they want to make a plan change so that they can be put at the front of the line.
A few rules to remember about changing plans:
- Members who are currently enrolled in Medigap (Medicare) Supplemental plans may change to another Medigap (Medicare) Supplemental plan at any time during the year. These changes are not restricted to the annual Medicare Enrollment period.
- Members who enroll in a new Medicare Advantage plan with Via Benefits during Medicare Open Enrollment may make a one-time change to another Medicare Advantage plan from Sunday, January 1, 2023 through Friday, March 31, 2023. This is referred to as the "test drive period" and applies to newly enrolled Medicare Advantage members only.
Members who want to make non-medical plan changes need to participate in the UC Open Enrollment which starts 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, October 27, 2022 and ends at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, November 18, 2022 Pacific Time.